Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Oh Poppet!

Poppet is still hanging in there. I ended up going back into the hospital on Sunday morning, but this time to the bigger, tertiary-care hospital. I was having more cramping and discomfort and felt very off. Everyone was really lovely and I ended up getting the sonogram to measure cervical length. I was hoping that this would be very reassuring since cervical length together with the fetal fibronectin test is more accurate in determining preterm labor risk.

It wasn't quite the news we'd hoped for. The measurement came back as 26mm, with 25mm and less being very worrisome, while 35mm is the average. So... not terrible but certainly not ideal and not reassuring. I spent all morning there being monitored. Poppet looked great, though amniotic fluid was at the upper level of normal, and I was discharged but this time on full bed rest. I also was given a steroid shot to help mature the baby's lungs, and yesterday went back for another shot.

Honestly it's been very difficult. I feel guilty that I've not listened to major signals that I needed to slow down. Running has helped to up my energy levels but the day to day running around after a toddler, with guests, putting up bunk beds, working, working, working... and not really sleeping very well. Well, in hindsight it seems very stupid. That being said it's not easy to slow down, and because I'm not doing much of anything I find it hard to actually sleep. This led to a sleepless night last night and a 3am trip to the L and D when in my sleep-deprived state I became very, very concerned that I hadn't felt the Poppet for a long, long time. So there I was again, everyone very kind, wondering, probably, how many times they'll see me this week :)

I have a midwife appointment tomorrow and I'm expecting (hoping) that they downgrade my bed rest to at least modified rest. 

I have lots of photos to post of Raf and his cousins and stories to tell, but in the meantime I'll post a picture of Raf with his cousins on the final day.


5 comments:

  1. What a scary time for you. Sending lots of love to you and Poppet! Hang in there... You are one strong mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my darling. I'm praying my atheist prayers for you all and hoping you can rest as much as they suggest. Lots of love. Come on poppet you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just feel so badly you have to have stress right now in your pregnancy after getting through the first trimester and all of that. Praying for you and please get your rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How stressful, Alex. Hang in there poppet! Thinking of you all the time Alex xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. It's a nerve wracking time, for sure. I loved my final trimester with Raf so it's a bit sad that we're once again on edge with some worry.

    Just make it a few more weeks, little guy.

    ReplyDelete