Friday, May 4, 2012

Keith Lad

As we approach Alex's Dad's birthday - he would have been 87 - we are left thinking about the good times we had with him over the years. The Menorca holiday, New Year's Eve 1999 in Spain, and various DIY adventures as Keith would start five projects at the same time, which would lead to chaos but he'd always get them completed before he left again. I knew Keith for 17 years - and always marveled that he was running at least twenty years below his actual age - the energy to DIY, dig holes and drive long distances i.e driving through France or Spain in one day always had me shaking my head in awe. My nick-name for him was Keith Lad - in reference to his Peter Pan qualities in that for most of the time I knew him he didn't seem to age or slow down - always eager to find a pub/bar and one that had a decent pool table so we could play at least 15 games before calling it a night. I never won a nights series in 17 years - he was that good and eager to win. Even when I was 'forced' to play negative tactics i.e snookers to try and keep the score line respectable - it rarely worked as I was frequently on the end of a 10-2 or 12-4 style drubbing which always pleased Keith no end - the concluding smile and handshake belied the cool and deadly workings of a hustler! Happy times.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Rich. When you snookered him he would always call you 'Dirty Dog'! So funny! And that false modesty about pool was so endearing! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the snooker was a good one when he called me that! Shame I rarely went on to win the game...

      Delete