Friday, May 11, 2012

And it's a......

We had our anatomy scan at 8am this morning. I managed to drag myself out of bed so I could get to the gym before we had to leave at around 7am, and I did have a few tears as I drove along worrying about the scan but also thinking about dad not being with us anymore. Last time, mum and dad had arranged to call my cell phone at a certain time so they could be the first to know about the baby's sex. Our plan was to do something similar and for this time, of course, Raf to be there with us... We arranged with mum for her to call again, but it was very sad to think of her finding out the news on her own.

It was a bit of a mistake to go to the gym as I returned home and things were frantic and then traffic was terrible, so we just about made it to the appointment in time. Thank goodness we bought ipads, ipods, and all things distraction with us as Rafi wasn't especially interested in looking at the baby on the screen!

It was an absolute relief to see the baby. En route to the ultrasound mum had called to tell us she had come across a birth announcement in the local paper welcoming a baby names Isla May. This seemed like a good omen. Neither Rich nor I had strong feelings about the sex of the baby but both of us were erring towards a girl. Then a boy!

Like last time, we asked the sonographer (a lovely woman) to place the card in an envelope so we could open it later. It was phenomenal to see the baby with its developed spine and heart and other organs. Everything was looking super and the technician explained everything as she went along. I suspect she may have heard that I am a bit of a frantic lunatic about pregnancy.

Measurements all looked good, and thank the Lord the head was of average size! Raf's head and tummy always measured about 3 weeks ahead with his little legs always measuring right on track or a little earlier (which is similar to his build now). This baby had a normal sized head, long limbs, and the same Oliver Campbell big tummy :)



Raf held himself together for the scan - just - but was pleased to leave the place so we could get some breakfast. We headed to the same restaurant we'd gone to when we'd had our scan with Rafi, and amazingly exerted some patience and willpower as we ordered food with the envelope right next to us. Raf, mind you, was being a little tyrant so we were quite preoccupied trying to get him to dial it down a bit.
 
Waiting... the anticipation!



 Waiting some more...

 Cheesy grin before the big moment....

 I can't look... I help get Raf started with the envelope....


I still can't look.... 

 

Oh, mercy... I see it... 


I'm in utter shock....


It's a baby brother! We were not expecting that! 


A little shell-shocked... 







The best thing about a new brother is the cake!





We weren't expecting this, either! 







 

22 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Even though I was wrong.. So happy for the three of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I was right :) congratulations !!!!! Such a cute ultrasound pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Alex, that's wonderful news! And such a neat way to find out the gender, too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Most of all so happy he looks perfectly healthy but I do think Rafi and he will have so much fun together! And the cake looks good, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay !! Congratulations on a healthy boy Campbell family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay!!!
    i remember a similar photo shoot when you were expecting rafi
    soooo adorable :)
    congrats luv
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Alex! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Happy for you all!!!Looks like Raf enjoyed the cake. Yummy mommy!!!Tonight at dinner my sister asked my nephew where the baby was going to sleep. I guess he used to answer in the new room but tonight with everyone there he said "outside." Two year old logic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!!! I'm so happy for you! I actually LOL's over Raf licking the cake! He seems excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay yay yay, and hilarious picture of Raf and the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Raf! Go stick your face in the cake why don't you!

    The only thing better than one little boy is two little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, I was so wrong but they will have such fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. woohoooooo! so glad all is looking well...Al, you're well and truly out numbered now!
    LOVE the cake-licking pic. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Al this is such a blinking great post!!! Thanks for sharing your special moments with us. So delighted to have another nephew!! Congratulations to you all. Love the pick of Raf diving in to the scrummy looking cake hahaha!! Love you lots xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Alex, I am so excited for you! There is nothing like a little boy's love for their mother. We'll be able to have fabulous play dates with four little boys & their crazy energy running all around. Seriously though, the bond between brothers can be so great - I've seen it with Colby & Sawyer. They certainly know how to push each others buttons, but whenever they are out in the world they are such a united force with everything & everyone else. Welcome to the two boys club! So happy he's healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karla, I love the idea of our boys growing up knowing one another! Thanks for the lovely comment.

      Delete
  16. Congrats Alex, two boys will be best buds forever!!! Ellen & Bill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!!! I absolutely LOVED having my two eldest boys first. They instantly had such an amazing bond and even now they're 14 and 11, they're best friends as well as brothers. They have their own interests but they spend real quality time together every day.
    I think your new little boy will be uber-gorgeous and he and Rafi will be running rings around you in a couple of years.
    Wonderful news!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT BABY BOY #2. I love him already! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, everyone. We're so excited about it. I have to confess that I felt some very unexpected disappointed and sadness that perhaps I won't ever have a little girl but thinking about Raf having a little brother and having another little boy is just wonderful. I couldn't imagine things being different now.

      Delete
  19. I can't believe we were wrong! But there will be some awesome and entertaining days ahead of you with 2 brothers. I think it will be adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Alex! I saw your link to your blog from the MDC thread, and I'm just catching up...fabulous about the boy! It's such an adjustment when you find out the gender, either way - just makes it seem more real, I think. I'm so happy for you though. 2 boys will be a blast. EK

    ReplyDelete