Sunday, April 12, 2009

quick update

It's been a few days since I last wrote... and so now I am closer to 94 days to go. Yikes. I woke up this morning feeling like a truck had hit me. The third trimester is clearly approaching fast. Depending on the source, the 3rd tri begins either at 27 or 28 weeks. I can't believe how this is flying by.

We had a busy week... work, as usual, was frantic. Jen gave a wonderful talk on campus on Friday, which I was so happy to attend. it was on women and health and it reminded me of how fortunate I am to have Deb as my doctor through this pregnancy. Frankly, I have heard of some horror stories about mothers being given interventions that just weren't warranted. Added to that the paternalism of much doctoring - especially when it pertains to child birth - and the medicalization of something that is, after all, a pretty normal and natural phenomenon.

I had an appointment last Monday and everything looks great. We began to measure fundal height a few weeks ago and, once again, the poppet was right on target. My BP was fine, too. I've gained a total of 12 pounds - which is probably a lot more this week - because, despite not changing much in the way of eating and exercise - my body keeps going through these massive growth spurts. This week is the week I am scheduled for our monthly tummy shot. Wowsa, you guys will be shocked!! There is just NO mistakin' that I am pregnant. Now perfect strangers feel comfortable announcing my pregnancy to me.

Anyway, we also talked about birth plans.. or, more specifically, our possible preference for a water birth. Deb is very open to the idea.. and even if we end up just laboring in the tub I feel really good about it all. Next week I also have to go in for the dreaded gestational diabetes test. Given my record drinking juice lately (I'm invariably sick) I am not confident about being able to do the proper test - which involves drinking 50 grams of carbs in some orange gunk. Nancy, my lovely prenatal massage therapist and PT, suggested that I eat a breakfast with the same amount of carbs... there are menus, apparently! We'll see... hopefully I'll feel okay enough to just do the regular test.

Talking of food... I am really looking forward to the day when I can enjoy food again. I haven't really enjoyed anything I've eaten this past 6 months. If I'm hungry I often don't have an appetite, primarily because nothing really sounds appealing. However we did go to the Green Elephant last night, a lovely vegan/vegetarian restaurant in Portland. The food is excellent. And even in my nauseous state it tasted pretty darn lovely.

Going out to dinner was part of one of my plans to spend more time with friends... well, it was very nice, but, unfortunately, I woke up feeling dreadful this morning so we didn't get to spend our Easter Sunday with Jen, David and Sage...so it was a very low key Easter. I painted one wall of the nursery.. this will be slow going!

Here are some decals and pics and bedding we're hoping to get for the nursery.... to go along with the woodland/forest theme


.'

In even more exciting news... Jen and I have been emailing about the baby shower... we're shooting for May 16th with a rain day planned for the 17th. I am really so grateful that Jen offered to host a shower for us. I will have to write a post about it tomorrow. But, really, I am really, really excited about it - and feeling very grateful that I have such lovely friends.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Alex!

    It's an honor to do the shower, truly. And when I was pregnant I was so fortunate to have friends step up to the plate for me. I'm happy to return the favor now. It will be great fun. I am planning to ask everyone to bring their own lawn chair, though. ;-) (BYOC)

    I had totally blocked out the diabetes test. I drank a huge glass of orange juice and ate pancakes globbed with syrup. It was completely disgusting. I can *only* imagine how that would be when feeling so nauseated anyway. You have all of my sympathy! I wish you luck.

    Your woodland theme is so adorable. I can't wait to see it!

    That's wonderful that you are thinking about a water birth. I know many people who have done it and it sounds incredibly peaceful. And good for you for having a birth plan in place (even if it might or might not come to pass that you are able to follow it exactly! I know there was so much I'd intended, from the trivial to the profound, that ended up going out the window. ;-).

    I'm so excited for you, and hoping you get some more energy soon.

    xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE OWLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought myself some really cute owl stationery and a tin from paperchase.

    I wish I could come shower you with baby goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bunnies and the colors of the browns and tans. It's going to be a very beautiful nursery!

    I don't know what you have planned after your glucose test, but I crashed afterwards (blood sugar wise) and got home just shaking and had to eat. So if you're not going right home, I would really recommend having some snacks with you to try to level things off (and I passed my test but normally have low blood sugar).

    I will e-mail you some baby pictures but we've only had the one ultrasound. 13 more weeks and we get the birth pictures (give or take a few weeks).
    Take care,
    Krystine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jen! You had such a lovely baby shower. it was only the second one I've been to :) I think they're a wonderful celebration of a new baby and think it's a really sweet communal idea to rally around new parents. Of course it's also hopelessly commercialized.. :) I'm in the midst of putting together our registry and, boy, it's hard!!

    Aw, Lou, I so with you could be here for the shower. What a shame that Cambridge/London is so darn far away. But feel free to shower us in gifts from afar :)!!!!

    Thanks for the advice, Krystine! Someone had just been for a test on one of the pregnancy boards I frequent, and they mentioned how awful they felt following the test. I will have to go to work right after, so thank you for the suggestions.

    I'm looking forward to those pictures! Although I did see the 20 week scan pics, right?

    You're due a few days ahead of me so I'm really looking forward to those baby pics!!!! Are you still running? I discovered today that I have really slowed down.. like REALLY slowed down!!

    Love, A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex,
    I think I sent you pictures I sent you earlier since we just had the one scan (and I forgot if I sent them). I'm due July 12 officially but who knows when she'll decide to come.

    I am barely running, it's more of a walk with running breaks. I have slowed down so much and sometimes it's not very comfortable with ligament and pelvic pain. I guess I'm just trying to do what I can and get outside as much as possible since that really helps my mood :-)

    I hope you have a great week!

    Krystine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex, it was great to see you today! Thank you for the visit. We're loving the treats you made!

    Just two thoughts:

    First, I think pregnancy is one way you learn to trust your body--not only in that it can create a new human being, which is totally amazing, but also in that it tells you what it needs. So if you are hearing it say "slow down," it's good that you're listening. Your body knows! It's the boss.

    Second, re. showers. It was tricky for me to have one that was for both David and me. One of the people who offered to give me one wanted it to be the old fashioned kind (just for the woman, just women attending). For obvious reasons, including that David would have been incredibly hurt to be left out, we didn't do that. (That of course made the guest list twice as big! But luckily I had a friend with a huge house! ;-) But seriously, it's a wonderful opportunity for all of your friends to celebrate with you and to "shower" you with the things you'll need. Can't wait!

    xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Jen :) I have to say that I just loved your shower. The only other one I've been to is my friend's Kate, who also had a co-ed one. I hadn't realized, until recently, that traditional ones were women only!! Whilst Rich is dying at the prospect of opening gifts in front of people, we both are so happy that all our friends get to be there to celebrate. THANK YOU again for doing this, though. it means such a lot.

    Oh, you're so right about my body telling me something.. I'm about to update with a blog (and I just emailed you), but I'm on partial rest for a few days as my blood pressure was a bit wacky. I don't think it's anything serious but they're not sure what's causing it so I'm having some blood work done tomorrow morning. I do wonder if I'm slightly anemic. I have had major aversions to spinach :)

    Krystine! I did see your cute little girl! You're just 4 days ahead of me... I can't believe that we're getting so close. I honestly can't imagine running too much at this point (if I was able to), and I've really noticed that my breathing is weird and I am feeling super tired. I did just sign up for a prenatal yoga class at one of the hospitals so I'm looking forward to doing that. Hopefully I can return to the gym soon, though, as I know it makes me feel better.

    I meant to ask if you have much maternity leave?

    xoxox
    A

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Whilst Rich is dying at the prospect of opening gifts in front of people..."

    - reading this filled me with the devious urge to purchase something absolutely hideous for your shower (while pretending that it was a serious gift), just to watch Rich squirm and try to find something positive to say about it.

    I will refrain, though, namely because I don't have the funds to go about purchasing ugly gifts for fun!

    Are you registering, love? Care to send me the link if you are?

    Lovelove.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, ren, you are a little trouble maker :)

    Believe me, Rich will feel exceptionally shy about opening gifts as it is.. it would be nice to make him open gifts on his own whilst being surrounded by everyone... oh what a dream for him!!

    Love, A

    ReplyDelete