Saturday, October 6, 2012

Come on, baby.

This morning I woke up very early - around 3ish - and baby Toast was very quiet. I panicked for a good 10 minutes, trying to get him to move, and then I realized that my stomach was like a water balloon and that my amniotic fluid levels must have risen even more. I have a huge water pocket in the front of my stomach and it makes all but impossible to feel even the most rigorous kicks and moves. And the discomfort is crazy. All the fluid is crowding out my organs - at least that's how it feels - and I really thought that I couldn't actually feel more uncomfortable.

Anyway, I continued to panic, because while I could feel some movement, it was so light and infrequent that it wasn't at all comforting. I got up at 4:15am intending to do some organizing, and because Raf is a very light sleeper around this time I went to get Rich (who was sleeping in the bunk bed!) to lie with Raf. Thus ensured a comedy of errors... Sammy had snuck upstairs - and this isn't good because he thinks that carpet is made for peeing on - so I put him on top of the stairs and the poor pup lost his footing and tumbled down the stairs. I was terrified, screamed - sort of - and then that woke up Raf. So we were all up at the crack of dawn, though Rich was a real trooper and managed to get back to sleep :) As soon as the hour was more decent I called my midwife to check in about the fetal movement and she had me come into the hospital for a non-stress-test.

Everything was good, of course, and I don't think I was really too worried, but I am incredibly fed up with the discomfort. I'm very close to my due date and I would love to go into spontaneous labour, but after a long, long couple of months trying to keep the toast cooking, I'm now a bit desperate for him to be done! This morning was the first time that I felt that real fed-upness.

He has to come soon... !

In good news, Raf peed on the potty a few times! He wore a nappy this morning to football but then we changed him into his big-boy pants and he stayed dry. He even peed in the woods when we were walking the dogs. He decided to get naked after we arrived home (we were caught in the rain) and actually asked to go to the potty. We were super proud of him!

7 comments:

  1. What a day! I do really hope he comes soon. I didn't think I'd get to say that, I was so concerned 10 weeks ago but I agree it sounds like he should be ready. It sounds like you have a great midwife who takes your concerns seriously. That is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! I've felt so patient and did everything I could to make sure he stayed put as long as possible and now, all of a sudden, I am feeling very done. If it weren't for the crazy fluid then I'd be fine being pregnant for at least a couple more weeks! I think I am going to have to really distract myself with stuff until he decides to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find a good distraction, let me know. I need one myself right now! :)

      Delete
  3. I've been watching tons of terrible TV on my iPad...! And also I started taking some longer walks listening to audiblebooks. It really does distract me well. Some family time away from the house also helps.. Today we got chips at lunchtime and took them to the beach for a lovely breezy, autumn picnic. I have to admit, though, that Thursday feels a long way off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe on one of these long walks things might start going for real! You are almost there, dear. Think how healthy & well-developed this little guy will be. :D Little comfort I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on the home straight buddy, distraction sounds good. I feel for you as I sit here in discomfort simply from feeling I didn't digest last night's dinner. I can't imagine how you're feeling. Well done rafi!!! What is your actual due date? My cousin's baby just turned up right on his due date. Love to all x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all. Patience found me again, too. I think the fear and discomfort of yesterday really felt like the final straws but it was a busy day today and while the fluid is such a pain it is completely bearable. Baby toast coming on his own terms is going to be such a gift.. though ask me after Thursday and I may have once again changed my tune :)

    Lou, due date is the 11th. Our 10 year wedding anniversary is on the 14th (also 18 years together anniversary!) so we're wondering if he'll decide to come then!!

    ReplyDelete