Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Where have we been?

>

We've had a really fun few days. The long holiday weekend was gloriously warm and sunny. The end of last week was less fun, though, when Raf had his 2 month appointment. We're loosely following Sears' vaccination schedule. We'll end up with all the traditional vax, but they're spaced out differently. Raf was a trooper though he was extremely grouchy in the late afternoon/evening. He was screaming at one point, something he rarely does. I even called the nurse and emailed Deb to see if this was normal.. Apparently it is. I ended up giving Raf some Tylenol (which obviously caused me some anxiety!) and he did much better.

At the appointment we also learned that Rafi is quite the chunky monkey. At just over 8 weeks he weighed in at 12 pounds 10 oz, which puts him in the 75th percentile (his birth weight was the 25th). He isn't that tall, though, so he's quite the chubber. I just love his little belly, and I could eat those chunky legs and arms!

Rich fortunately had that day off work so he was there to help with the boy. The night before we'd been to college for a faculty picnic. Raf met lots of new people and had a fine old time. Saturday was a day of movement! I went to the gym in the early morning and after my usual workout on the elliptical I took a centergy class...cross between yoga and pilates. Rich brought Raf to the gym and after I finished my workout I took Raf to Whole Foods whilst Rich worked out. How much things have changed!! Since it was a beautiful day I also managed to get out on my bike for a long afternoon ride whilst Rich enjoyed some Rafi time. It felt really lovely to be out for such a long ride, but I really missed the boy.

Sunday I could barely move my legs, somewhat inevitably, and so we headed to an arts show in Portland. Our friend Maggie was showing her beautiful paintings and jewelry, and the location couldn't have been more perfect. Here we are at Fort Williams, in Cape Elizabeth.







Monday we did another gyn morning, It feels really good to feel a little autonomous and to use my body differently. I did a weight lifting class, which was great fun. I happened to be working out with the Dean of the college next to me, so that kept me extra motivated :) We did the quick gym-Rafi change over, and when we were all home I booked some flights to Spain! We go in October. My parents live there and one of my sister's will be visiting with her little bambino Rory and my sweet niece Freya. It will be lots of fun!

Alas, the weekend went all too quickly.

Raf is beginning to wake up a bit more in the night now so even after the lovely weekend I'm feeling pretty tired. Rich has been practicing with the bottle some nights and it's been going okay. He prefers the source, though :) This morning Raf and I went back to bed for an hour when Rich had left for the day, which was such a nice thing, and then we headed to Maggie's new Nia baby class. It was so much fun! It was the first class and there were only a couple of other kiddos. A 7 month old, Max, who we met on Sunday, and another little girl. I danced in the Baby Bjorn and Rafi fell asleep. I'm hoping we can go regularly. We'll make a dancer out of Raf, I hope!

Here are some more snapshots of the weekend



10 comments:

  1. Wow has he grown! Those pictures are adorable! And I love the one of the three of you at Fort Williams, too.

    Alex, I'm so glad you had such a nice weekend and were able to do so much healthy stuff for you. I really admire that you manage to do that, and that Rich is such a support for it. You are lucky.

    So what in the world was Art doing at your gym? It occurred to me to ask you that before but never did. I can't imagine. ;-)

    And how exciting about your plans to go to Spain. That will be a very memorable trip, I am sure.

    I miss you all and hope you continue to do well. And the trusty Tylenol is good to have on hand, if you use it sparingly!

    xo
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rafi makes me so baby hungry. He is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jen! We really miss you too. (Also, how did you manage to make sense of this post?! I realize it was all jumbled in order because of the way the photos upload!!).

    It seems as though the entire UNE faculty workout at the gym... including a certain department chair :) Art very kindly helped me out with the exercise class.. he'd done it before and you need lots of equipment. But it was a bit odd :)

    I have to admit that being very active has helped me really enjoy the time with Rafi, which is usually so sedentary. I'm sure that will change! But really being in my body, whether it's cycling, rowing, lifting weights, affords me that opportunity for a real physical break. But by the end of the activity I am always dying to get home.

    Spain should be lots of fun!! We've found good flying times, and I managed to book Rafi a little skycot! We go in four weeks.. so exciting.

    Hope we see you soon.
    Love, A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks, Krista! He is a sweety!! I honestly can hardly wait to have another one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alex! Okay, I've got two questions for you:

    which gym?

    and what is a skycot?

    ;-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh so adorable! How long are you in spain for? shall i do a day flight and come have coffee with you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey alex,
    these posts really inspire me :)
    i love it, things seem complete, if you know what i mean? do i hear the hint of cluckiness.. for another??!! :O a little sibling for beautiful rafi? hehe
    i knew motherhood would suit you alex, and i am so glad you are sharing it with us.
    thank you.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aha, Jen! I go to Saco Sports and Fitness. You have no idea how many people I run into... Ali, Beth, Joel, Sam, Art... and I have seen many others who I sort of hide from (it's a big gym!). I joined initially because one of the trainers specializes in prenatal fitness, and given I was so sick I wanted some help. They also have a little daycare center a few hours of the day :) And a skycot is a little bassinet that some plane seats have in front of them (usually the bulk seating has them). hopefully Raf will be able to sleep a little bit in it so that he's not being held in such a small space. If not, maybe I'll try and curl up in there :)

    Lou, let's try and make it work! if you can get a cheap enough ticket we'd love to see you!! Wish we could work the UK into the trip... I may have to get you to bring me some supplies!!

    Aw, B, you;re too sweet! I definitely want more kiddos, and I have to say that another little one sounds lovely, but, boy, yesterday was HARD with the Rafman and I know we'd need help with another one!!!

    Love, A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! That's so funny. The gym sounds like quite a scene!

    That's so neat about the skycot. Never heard of it! When you're ready to plan in earnest for the trip, we can talk about flying with a small child, if you want! But it sounds like he'll be at his most portable stage, so that's great.

    xoxo
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm totally up for a trip to spain to meet up with you. Let me know if you have a day in mind - i can easily come and stay in a hotel for one night and spend sometime with you guys without it being too much pressure...it's only an hour's flight or so

    ReplyDelete