Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving





A little late... but, as is increasingly the case, we've been so busy! Raf is growing and changing rapidly and I can barely keep up! Right now he's with the nanny; his second time with her, and I'm in panera catching up with work. I'm on a break :)

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It was very low key but, you know, we don't usually do a thing. We now have an American kid, though, and feel some sort of cultural imperative to celebrate this day. And so with that in mind we attended a vegan Thanksgiving potluck dinner and then enjoyed our own Tofurky Day :) Yes, we had Tofurky and it was delicious. We also put Raf in his highchair for the first time, and he enjoyed some of mama's milk from a sippy cup.








We have so much t be thankful for, too. This time last year I was so sick but full of excitement. I remember our neighbors calling to see if we were going to join them for desserts as we do most years, and, after throwing up MANY times that day I had to decline. I remember how it seemed as though I'd always be pregnant, and yet here we are, a year on, with little Rafi who is the sweetest little boy. I could never have known how much I'd love this little poppet and how I could so quickly not imagine having him in our lives.

I feel so lucky.

On the other hand the little tyke is having a hard time napping without me, The only way I can get him to nap - other than being on me lap - is to take him for long, long walks in the stroller. On Thanksgiving day we enjoyed a lovely afternoon trying to get him to sleep. I really enjoy these walks :)

The boys enjoying their Thanksgiving meal!



Aw, Raf and papa



getting ready for papa



Sleeping?



Umm, not yet!

9 comments:

  1. aw!!!!!
    I will reply to your email, promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god,
    these are SUCH beautiful pictures. you guys (all of you!) are so so gorgeous. it all brought tears to my eyes - to remember last year, to think of the changes that the year held, and to see my nephew looking so smiley and excited to see the world.

    all my love to you and your family,
    ren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pix, Alex! I especially love the one where he's peeking out from inside his pram (still awake).

    Does the nanny wear him at all? Just wondering if that would help him to sleep with her? But ack--I know so well the trickiness of sleep. And then you meet those babies who just fall asleep on their own wherever they happen to be. That would never happen in our house! Good luck with it. Eventually he will fall asleep with others, and on his own--I promise. ;-)

    It is truly amazing how much has changed since last year at this time. I am so very, very happy for you.

    I'm glad you had a nice Tofurkey day, as it were. We miss you!

    xoxo
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lou! And thanks for your email. Hope we get to chat this weekend. I'll be out most of tomorrow but you know you should call any time!

    Aw, you're too sweet, Ren. I keep wondering if you're back in town? I know you'll be home soon.. hope we get to see you!

    Sheesh, Jen, I know!! I think a lot of the babies are 'sleep trained', which, you know, sends shivers down my spine! We're lucky in that he'll mostly fall asleep in the car, stroller, on the boob.. and he'll eventually sleep for Rich with the magic finger in his mouth.... but putting him down somewhere is, well, not going to happen immediately! I think that most babies need parenting to sleep.

    That said I nursed him down and Rich popped him in his hammock. It's our first night with the monitor on... usually I go up straight away. In fact I think Ill go up now :)

    The nanny is also looking after Hudson who's the same age as Raf. She holds them a lot and I have talked to her about using a sling/ergo and I think she's open to it. Raf is not really sleeping in those, either now! he is far too curious. With his stroller I have to put a blanket over his seat so he can't distract himself if we're going on a stroller/nap walk. He is really into everything!!!

    Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you had a wonderful Tofurky Day! Rafi looks so cute. He seems to be very happy in his Papa's arms. He surely is Papa's little Prince :)
    BTW, did Rafi hold the sippy cup by himself in his left hand? He is nicely looking at his cup in the pic :)

    Good that Rafi has a same age friend to play with. You are right, an year back it was full of excitement. I too enjoyed the morning sickness to the fullest LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. is tofurkey nice? they do it here but it's £25!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love checking your blog and the updates with Rafi. He is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou, that's nuts! We got outs from Whole Foods and it was only $10. I have to say that I really liked it, though!

    Thanks, everyone! We took some lovely pics today of Raf in his Christmas outfit. I posted some on FB but I'll post a few favorites here!!

    ReplyDelete