Tuesday, November 24, 2009

First Day

SO much for writing more often. It used to be that Id have some time whilst Raf ate and snacked. Alas, he is now a very inquisitive little guy when he eats, and stops so many times mid feed t look around, check things out, that there's no time at all to properly write. How sad I am to communicate with people nowadays via my facebook status updates!

But a few updates:

1) Rafi found his feet! When he's sitting on my knee he'll actually bend over and attempt to pop his toes in his mouth. Clever boy :)

2) He is obsessed - absolutely obsessed - with solid food. No, we haven't given him any yet (and don't plan to until 6 months), but he grabs, stares, mouths, sticks his tongue out when he sees food. Just this morning in Panera he tried to eat my toast. He has licked my apple, though, and thought it was hilarious. Funny little boy,

3) The biggest thing is that Raf went to his sitters for the first time today. The physical therapist I saw for prenatal massages when I was pregnant happened to be pregnant herself. She was due the day after me. In the end there's around 2 weeks difference in the ages of her son and Rafi. She is really lovely, and after Raf arrived we kept in touch. We were chatting on the phone about childcare and we got to talking about the idea of a nanny share. She was planning on having a nanny for her son, but it is very pricey so we had the thought that perhaps we could share a nanny. Well, that's exactly what we're doing. We hired a nanny and she started looking after my friend's son a month ago. While we won't start with Rafi full time until next January - when I return to work (sob), Raf went today for a trial run. Just a couple of hours.

It went well, I think. I ended up returning to pick him up before the 2 hours was up, although I had just popped to Whole Foods. He did just fine, of course! He was overly tired and so had a bit of a meltdown for N, the nanny, but when I got there he was asleep. He wasn't all that happy to be rudely awoken, either.... Poor little poppet.

4) Finally, I should add that Raf keeps on being mistaken for a 9 month old. Really, almost everyone thinks he is much older than he is... Random people exclaim in amazement when I announce that he's 4.5 months. i think it's his hair.. though it might also be the size of his head. Comparing him to my friend's little guy, H, and Raf definitely has a rather large noggin :)

5) okay, so finally, really finally, here's a pic of Raf in the ergo carrier... his first time riding on my back!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Momma...I could imagine your joy when Rafi found his feet...Same is with me when Raami does :)Try taking some pictures during that time..No luck for me to capture the one yet.

    Though picture is not clear, Rafi looks cute as always. He really has a beautiful thick hairs. Raami lost his birth hairs and now is almost bald ( specially front side ) :(


    Looks like Rafi's taste buds are on the way..! 6 months is just 50 plus days...So hold on my dear boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's funny. i so want to be your nanny!

    love you and miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, don't you just delight when your children start doing their "firsts?" he's such a big, darling boy, now. :)

    glad you both survived the first outing with the nanny. i know you have been worried about it, and very glad you have found a nanny that you feel comfortable with.

    xoxo
    brie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, GOOD for you for all doing so well with the nanny. It's all uphill from here--and as you said, it's good for him to have attachments to other adults (even though it's hard on you to be away from him!).

    How exciting about the feet, too!

    Miss you
    xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete