Monday, June 4, 2012

Oof.

This probably sums things up. I hate to moan but honestly I feel so physically decrepit that I feel like bursting into tears throughout the day. This morning I woke up with a pounding headache and sore throat and so on top of the fatigue and nausea I feel utterly miserable.

At least we may have a reason for the crazy fatigue. I spoke with my midwife this morning and my ferritin levels are quite low. This is a surprise since the levels were so high early on in pregnancy, and in spite of being vegan/veggie for most of my life I've never actually been anemic. I started iron supplementation today and already I feel even sicker as they are not easy on the stomach. I'm about to order some floradix, which is meant to be much gentler - so hopefully that will help. I am also vit D deficient, which isn't actually a surprise because no matter what I do to supplement my levels are consistently low.

And as I write this I can tell I am seconds away from throwing up the iron supplement. Help.

And on top of all of this I am unbelievably anxious about whether this boy will be okay. I know it's likely because today was the due date of the pregnancy we lost in November, and I suspect the sickness, the tummy ache, the over all crappiness is combining to unleash all sort of anxiety. I'm going away for a work retreat tomorrow for a couple of days and what I really want to do is to stay here and demand an appointment with my midwife tomorrow so she can make this all better.


10 comments:

  1. So many hugs for you, Alex! I'm so sorry. I'd so be sick for you for the next few days to give you a break if I could. Is there a time of day you don't feel as sick? If there is, I'd definitely take the iron then, and take it with food because that is about the worst thing in the world for a stomach (but I'm sure you already know all of this).
    I've been thinking of you lots today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry!!!!! Can I offer some unsolicited advice (which you are free to ignore)? Go see your midwife tomorrow. The HPT will survive without you, as will your vibrant department. UNE is of miniscule importance compared to your health and your peace of mind. EVERYONE WILL UNDERSTAND. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. People call in sick for work when they're sick. You're sick. And your health is important and you're taking care of the little baby inside of you.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Julie and Jen.

    the retreat isn't too far away so I think I am going to call first thing and beg that they see me. I'll head down to the place we're meeting as it won't take long to drive back. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) As long as you take care of you! Hope all goes well this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey darling. that sounds miserable and sad and draining. floradix is definitely meant to be more bearable. i really hope you go see the midwife sweety.
    big hugs and all my bestest wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Alex!
    I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly. Floradix is delicious, in my opinion, and so gentle on the stomach. A little pricy, otherwise I would still be taking it :-)
    I hope you feel better soon,
    Melissa (Mel38)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try a tbs full of blackstrap molasses chased with a glass of orange juice. (or oranges). More readily available than floridax and not at all metallic tasting.


    Also: I second the idea of taking a sick day. Lay outside, soaking up the vitamin D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, everyone. I ended up coming to the retreat because I felt less sick this morning, but I managed to get an appointment to see my midwife tomorrow afternoon. Can't believe how crummy I feel. I wish work wasn't so crazily hectic.

    I so appreciate the recommendations. The straight iron supplement almost put me over the edge last night and I cannot wait for the floradix to arrive, but I'm also going to try the molasses. Good idea, K.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge hugs for you!!!
    I can relate so much to how you feel. My pregnancies following my miscarriages were all anxiety-ridden. Every sneeze, every pain, every dizzy spell would make me fret and worry. I think it's normal to have these feelings but that doesn't make them any easier to deal with. Keep making those calls to your midwife when you need reassurance and monitor the baby with your own doppler too, if it helps to ease your sense of panic a little.
    I had to take ferrous sulphate throughout my pregnancies. Despite trying to eat an iron-rich diet, I was told that all the iron-rich food in the world wasn't going to up my ferritin levels. I just had to take them. They made me feel pretty ill at times but then, like you, I was feeling ill anyway, so it felt like more misery being piled on.

    The way I coped was to rest whenever I could and to tell myself that every day was a day closer to having my little one safely born and in my arms. Some days were so long and hard but I got there and you will too.

    Take good care of yourself. x

    ReplyDelete