Thursday, June 14, 2012

Oh dear.

I turned into a bit of a crazy woman today. This morning on my usual 5 mile loop, I started to notice that I was experiencing quite a few Braxton hicks. By the time I got home and had rested with a big glass of water, they were still coming strong, and with some cramping. I spent the morning working at my desk but no amount of sitting down was helping. After lunch I had to leave the house as we have a cleaner who comes on a Thursday afternoon, and my plan was to continue to work in Panera Bread. Well, I was contracting like crazy in the car and so I called my midwife.

The midwives' nurse gave me a bit of telling off for not taking it easy and for not listening to my body. Indeed I am supposed to be working half days, but that has been absolutely impossible and instead of working half days I've been working all day and all evening. She asked me pointedly if I wanted to end up with a very preterm baby and of course I do not.

I sat in Panera waiting for the midwife to call me back, drinking lots of water, cramping still coming, and by the time Kristen called I was in such a panicked frenzy. We talked - I sobbed - and I said that rather than come in that I would go home and lie down and see what happened. It helped, but not entirely so I called back my midwives and spoke to another midwife, Ellie - who though is great - is not my favourite (she is not that warm and fuzzy). She asked if I wanted to come into the hospital or to wait until morning...

Well, I decided to wait because I probably have an UTI or it's probably nothing at all and I'm already seeming like a crazy woman, I'm sure. I'm still having lots of BHs, still sick, still tired, still worried. Tonight I tried to off load some work and I'm in the process of attempting to back out of an article I agreed to write, but which is already late, and I've been totally stressing out about it. I feel terrible about it, and honestly a bit of a failure in respect to my academic life. 

In lovely news, my lovely friend Jen has offered to throw us another shower. I wasn't expecting it at all and was lamenting the fate of the poor second baby who doesn't really get much celebratory time. We're totally moved by Jen's kindness, who hosted and put on our shower when we were expecting the Boy Wonder.

And here is is... this photo totally cheered me up when Dani, the nanny, texted me it. What a happy boy.

11 comments:

  1. Oh mercy what a day! You are not a failure in any area but you have a ton of things you're juggling right now. You and your baby really do need to come first. Take care and really try to get some rest (without trying to sound too bossy, sorry)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright girly. I'm going to sound bossy. :) STOP MOVING. JUST SIT STILL. I also have an impulse to say "cross your legs" based on my oh so limited child-bearing experiences (read: none), but I'll refrain.

    You can sit still. I know you can. You can calm down. You can breathe. You can do this.

    I don't know what it is that you're doing, but you've got a semi-intelligent friend here in Boston willing to help in whatever way I can. Academic life generally makes us feel like failures, right? It is always demanding more than humanly possible. You are NOT a failure. I think maybe we should schedule phone calls or emails on a daily basis and you can tell me how many blades of grass you counted that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julie and SH!

    Had a good check in with my favourite midwife today. Everything is looking good. We're a bit worried by my level of exhaustion so she wants me to see my rheumatologist to check in about lupus stuff. I'm seeing Deb (my GP) on Monday, too.

    I asked her straight up if I was able to exercise and she was fine with it as long as I rest. I checked in with the editor of the journal, who commissioned me to write an article, and I've extended the deadline until August... A report got sent in today that needed to be in and so Ive really cleared my schedule except for a bit of summer teaching. It's a relief.

    SH, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you! I need an update on you!

    Thanks for being such great friends.xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad are calming down somewhat. Please really keep being careful to not let things accumulate. You might need to be assertive to keep things reasonable. (I'm sorry if I make no sense, I had another insomnia night, but I think it sort of makes sense). I hope your appt on Monday goes well. Just take care of yourself, we all care tons about you and want you and little Baby to be perfectly well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Julie. It makes total sense. I'm feeling quite a bit of relief that I;ve been able to off load a bit of work. So sorry you're still dealing with insomnia. Are you still feeling poorly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my dear! Poor you. I am glad you had a good check-up, and I really hope that Monday's goes well, too. Sweetie, please take care of yourself!!! And your friends are perfectly correct: you are NOT a failure. The academic life was designed to benefit privileged white men with stay-at-home wives. You accomplish so much, and don't you forget it! The scholarship will always be there, but this important time in your emotional and physical life is happening now. It's okay to give yourself permission to distribute your time and energy appropriately. I know this is really easy for me to SAY, and that it's very difficult for any of us to DO. But I'm saying it anyway. :-) xoxoxo Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm starting to feel a little better but between coughing and having way too much on my mind, my sleep really is difficult. I hope you have a restful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Jen said!
    You and bubba come first. You are no way a failure. Not a jot. I'm sorry I'm late seeing this. I'm in the nuthouse with just my phone for Internet. I love you. I can Skype if you want to talk
    Much love

    Please rest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no Alex, I am just now catching up on my Google Reader and saw this. I think I remember you updating that you feel better, but how scary! Is there anything you can do to ease your workload?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you guys, you're so kind and sweet to me. My midwife had me check in with Deb and she was kind enough to see me before her proper day started (she gets super booked very quickly). I had some more blood work done to rule out that I'm not having a lupus flare-up but Deb thinks it's just a lot of life-stuff and being too busy, and so on. She also reminded me that it's been a stressful year with lots of losses, moving, work craziness, and so I was going into this pregnancy very depleted. It's frustrating but also a relief. I'm hoping that the next couple of months are much less hectic. I think they will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Alex, please do take rest! I know you are busy at both work and home but take care dear friend
    C

    ReplyDelete