Thursday, July 23, 2009

The (mostly) good and (a little bit of) bad

Some of my favourite things about being a mama:

I love taking care of his basic needs: dressing him, changing him, feeding him, playing with him..

I love walking with him in his sling.

I love having him sleep with us.. he just loves to snuggle!

I love watching his personality emerge. I love his crinkled little face when he gets flustered, and his furrowed brow which makes him look very serious.

I love how he lifts his neck and cranes it, which makes him seem quite reptilian!

Favourite things about not being pregnant!


I love how I am not sick and nauseous anymore!

I love how my kidneys function properly!

I love how I can workout with a bit more intensity.

.. and some challenges...

Nursing is wonderful, but also it is VERY HARD. I have been so lucky in that I've not really experienced any soreness, but it is a full time job and I have felt a little trapped this past few days. He nursed - well, cluster fed, for six hours a couple of nights ago. I thought I was going to have a breakdown. The upside is that when he does this he sleeps for a long period afterward. He hasn;t done that this evening and I'm preparing myself for many wake ups tonight.

Of course time is not longer my own, and this is quite difficult to get used to...

I am not loving those hormonal shifts: from menopausal-like hot flashes at night, to a touch of the baby blues this past couple of days. I have indeed been a bit weepy, though I feel a lot better today.

And not being pregnant... I miss the anticipation of the birth :)

Mostly this is a wonderful time, though, and here are some pics of the little guy sleeping.. which he does a lot of :

)Is that a sleepy smile forming...





It's hard to type recently, because I have a little guy who likes to be held for most of the day... and night. This is a joy, of course, but also it's really difficult to do anything!

6 comments:

  1. wow I love your posts, photos, and experiences. Thanks for sharing them with us Alex. He's delightful!

    ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful lists, Alex. It all sounds so familiar, even if second-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's all quite familiar--if that is any consolation!

    For me one of the hardest things, ironically, was making myself understand that it was not forever: I was not sentenced to a lifetime of isolation, trapped under the weight of an 8-pound infant who needed to be held all. the. time. In some other part of my brain, I knew that soon enough she'd be walking ten paces ahead of me, and that at that time I'd wish she'd just want to cuddle in my lap again. But it's hard to think with that perspective when you're so sleep deprived and in shock from all of your time being taken up by someone else. ;-)

    Anyway, we're thinking of you. And loving the pix!

    xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah he's so gorgeous! Being a mummy rocks (for the most part ;-)!) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've fallen in love with someone i have never met :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't he adorable!?

    Thanks for the assurance that these are just stages! It's good to remember that. I did see Deb today and it was very reassuring that Rafi is doing well. Gaining lots of weight, no longer a curry shade of yellow, and all other indicators seeming great...

    I am definitely in a bit of a funk. though. Deb was extremely kind, and though she's away for the next two weeks, let me know that it would be more than okay to come in for some support. Her staff is so wonderful...

    I will for sure survive, though :)

    ReplyDelete