Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Toast

Raf is a toast addict. He loves any form of bread and will also eat almost any kind of topping - including hummus, avocado, all nut and seed butters, vegan cheese, and so on. Since I've been so poorly I've not had much ability to cook or to think about preparing food, and since Rich is no Delia Smith or Martha Stewart we have somewhat been lazy in feeding Raf. Indeed we have fed his toast addiction.

What's worse is that we stopped offering Raf foods that he turned his nose up to... which includes almost all fresh produce not snuck onto toast. Since I have been feeling a bit better Rich and I agreed that we need to make food more of a priority. We're not so anxious about nutrition as we are about Raf's narrowing taste-buds (especially since we get a lot of good stuff in Raf's shakes and also on the aforementioned toast). Rich and I were horribly fussy eaters growing up and we want Raf to enjoy a variety of delicious foods. While I like toast as much as the next person, there is more to food than wholemeal bread toasted with almond butter.

So this week we started to give foods that Raf has previously declined while offering less of his crunchy favourites. Much to our delight he's been trying lots of things that only a short time ago we completely ignored. Melon, strawberries, banana, corn and peas (an old favourite), tofurky, and tonight, shockingly, we started shoveling down rice. This was a bit of a shock as we've offered rice on so many occasions, and when he's dared try a bit he's seemed to hate the texture.

What a big boy.

All that said, last night Rich came home with some shopping and Raf saw a loaf of bread and immediately he started jumping up and down and frantically yelled 'more toast, more toast, more toast, please'. And then, in the middle of the night, when asleep, he started saying 'toast, toast'.

Clearly the love affair isn't over.

Look how much he loves his toast.


5 comments:

  1. I won't tell you who ate ice cream before supper and was whining at me to make orange cookies with m & m's in them. Makes toast look like a regular balanced meal (but then she ate bean soup for supper so I felt somewhat better about that).
    He's a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious about him calling for toast in his sleep! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol he's awesome. more toast for me, too, please. importantly, though, has he tried marmite? lol
    love ya x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, it's so funny because we're also a bit alarmed that Raf won't eat yummy foods!!! He has had a few lollipops, though he rarely finishes them, and cookies and cake... not so much. It is sad to me because food is so pleasurable! But clearly toast brings him pleasure :)

    Jen, I was so worried because I thought he was awake and asking already for breakfast at 2am. It was really funny when I realized that he was just dreaming about breakfast!

    Lou, I hate marmite and so I haven't even had the thought of giving it to him! Splendid idea as we do have some! And I have to admit that both Rich and I are bread fiends so it makes a lot of sense that Rad would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My youngest has had issues with food textures since he was a toddler and it has been a major cause of concern to me. He has a limited variety of food he'll happily eat and is reluctant to try new foods. However when I look at his diet as a whole I can see it's really not that bad and I'm sure that in time it'll improve. I've often blogged about his diet and coincidentally did so today.
    Great news that Rafi has been testing out some new food! :)

    ReplyDelete