Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mama, Mummy, Mummis!

Raf has really learned the power of the word "Mama". I've been moving to the spare room in the middle of the night as I've been a bit poorly, but of course Raf wakes up without me there. This morning, from downstairs, I could hear him shouting "Mama, Mummy, Mummy, Mamis, Mummis..." all variations on the same 'mama'. I was too sick to get out of bed, and it wasn't even 5am! Soon I could hear that Rich had gotten him back to sleep.

But the shouting of 'Mama' (or one of the variations) is something I hear all day and all night. Rich picked up Raf from nursery this evening, and as soon as they were out the house I could hear Raf shouting for 'mummy, mummy, mama, mummis, etc.' It is really sweet and endearing but it's a constant chant, it seems! After his bath tonight, Rich and I both were in the bathroom getting Raf dry and dressed, and, there again, he started his chanting. I'm going to have to try and catch it on film as it's incredibly lovely.

He also does shout "dada, daddy, da', but mostly it's mama, mama, mama!

One day I'll be too embarrassing for him and he won't even acknowledge that I'm his mum, so I'll take it for now.

6 comments:

  1. yes, take it for now. I am fast approaching this with Doug-14 years old. Everything I do is just, wel,l flat out embarrassing to him LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! But rest assured that he'll grow out of that! Sons always love their mamas, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor, Doctor, Learned Alex can I throw a question at you. Many of the world's modern languages use the sound "mmm" in their word for mother, "mummy", "Mama", "Ami", "Ama", even Mother has an 'mmm' sound in it. However, there is much variation in the name for father amongst the worlds modern languagues. There is no equivalent common sound (Daddy, Papa, Abu for example are all names for father) I have read somewhere that this is because "mmm" is a sound a young child finds very easy to make. However, is it not remarkable that so many of the world's languages use this 'mmm' sound and have done so for centuries. What is the explanation for this common trend?

    Shahzad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judge Shahzad, I have NO idea! But I would definitely like to hear your explanation. I have to admit that I do like to hear that Mmm sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I was kind of hoping you could some shed light on the issue, Professor Alexandra AKA the Right Honorable Baroness Campbell of New England.

    SA

    ReplyDelete